Saturday, January 14, 2006

Dreams and Ideas....it's how bad you want it to be a reality.

waddya know! I got recall to work yesterday when it was my duty off. Oh well, no choice. I signed on the line and gave my life to the air force. Just doing my due i guess. Look on the bright side, someone thanked me, that's a good enough reward.

Today, I'm going to share the power of dreams and why some remains the way it is and some becomes a reality. Same for ideas too. I had a conversation with Ryal, another mentor I claimed to be, and a new friend he recommended me called Abby. Abby has a very interesting concept on "Reality Travel" that is exactly what my organisation's International Affairs would like to do but we term it as "ECO Tourism" and have it incorporated with our Sustainable town building. It just suddenly struck me that we are just talking but we already got ourselves very excited to make it happened. But this has happened one too many times, to one too many people. All talk but no action. All of us have to agree that this always happen to us. We have tons of wonderful ideas, million dollars worth and some very inspiring dreams. But how many of it really make it to reality? Ever happened to you that when something someone came up with was what you thought of earlier but just that you did not execute it. Yes, it happens to all of us. You and me.

Weng, my first mentor as stated in my first blog this year, thought me the same lesson and my second mentor, a successful financial advisor. One called it as the "Motive" while the other call it the "Desire" respectively. Basically, it is how bad you want it to make it happen. Willing to give what it takes and take the first step to get it into action. Most of us are endulged in our life or what is infront of us that we do not bring out Dreams or Ideas to the next step. My first mentor has called off our partnership for the third forum many times along the way because he felt that my interest have faded. He kept insisting on my motive. And how badly I want things to happen. It made me ponder. This was one of the few lessons Weng taught me that I will not forget. He kept cutting me off and spiked me into thinking and I kept pestering him and not willing to let the whole thing go. I wanted it bad but not bad enough to move further. But this little episode has made me thought through how important it is to want it so much that you can see, smell and feel it and you will not give up. It gives me the strength to barge through walls after walls and to continue moving on. Before barging through all these walls, I have learned to picture what I want to see at the end of it, no matter how many walls there are. I just keep moving. I guess this is the lesson he taught me that made the third forum a success that allowed me to earn my 5mins worth of speech infront of Sir David King, principal of Singapore Management University, their staffs, and all the participants. Thanks Weng.

Ryal have also reiriterate that it is called focus. To see the target, lock on and fire! I am the missile and the target is my designation. I will only go forward! Nothing can get in my way. My financial advisor mentor calls it "Desire to have it". Whatever it is, it is as said previously, how bad you want it to happen. And taking the calculated risk to go for it. Next would be getting the right people in the team and work together on it.

Another short story to bring up the point is my very first project I did back in school days. I sent my proposal to 1,200 people and companies, changing it time after time to improve on it to finally get a sum of SGD1,800 (about USD1,000). If I didn't want it bad enough, I would have given it up, maybe the 200th time? Or 10th time? Each time I failed, it was a lesson learnt. But I didn't take up this lseeon untill I hit about my 150th proposal that I sent out. I wanted to give up. I wanted to resign. I thought my perserverence has given me enough to do so much and that is all I can do. Theni thought through, by chance of miracle, the words "Failure is the mother of Success" struck me that I have let all these "Failure" go to waste. I relooked at them and take each rejection a challenge and eventually I got my reward. Little it may seem to most, but it is the first little step of confidence it has given me. Later in life, my financial mentor taught me that we need to fail faster in order to succeed faster. I couldn't agree more. If 9 out of 10 business fail, it means I only have to fail 9 times. So the faster I do it, the faster I hit the successful 1 out of 10.

Well, that's all for now...cycling off to power98 to get my radio interview that was aired over last year's Christmas eve.

TaZzzZzzzz....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home