Sunday, January 08, 2006

My cycling trip after...8 months?! Grrgh~

Ha...what do you know. I fell sick. Argh~

The last blog i had, i went for duty. Well, the next day when i returned home from my duty, i felt energetic. So happily brought my bicycle, which haven't been used for cycling for about 8 months, for servicing. Ha...went to service my bike and the uncle told me the bike is darn old and some of the parts are too tight to make any changes/modifications. So I paid about 120 bucks just to change the rear wheel along with a new gear. Well, he also told me if I were to really be keen into cycling, I can always visit his youner brother's shop somewhere at Bukit Timah, 2nd Avenue. There, is a wide range or variety of racer bike that I can choose from. But they are at least 1K in price. Oh, my bike IS a racer bike and it uses tubeless wheel. And tubeless are really expensive. The bike was given to me free by one of my colleague's husband who has at least 8 bikes in his store. He was an avid cyclist. The racer bike he gave me was the first bike he had configured himself. And based on the bike shop uncle who serviced my bike, he told me that this bike was worth at least 1K for the body. The fork, gear, breaks, peddle are worth about 5~6 hundred each. This bike was worth about 3K back then.

Happy after the bike has been serviced, i cycled it home. I packed up my stuff to made my way down to orchard, to ECO's office. Hence from Boon Lay, I followed the MRT track and cycled to Chinese gardern, then to Jurong East and when I hit Clementi, i heard my rear wheel going "cluck cluck cluck" or something like that. Woah...something is seriously wrong. Alighted from my bike and realized my bike had got itself puntured and the air is leaking out real fast. Oh well, asked around but no one seems to know if there is any bike shop nearby. So, hailed a cab and took it down to the uncle's younger brother bike shop. In the shop the bike variety was huge! It has 2 levels and all the racer biker was like..wow!

Oh well, he did a check on the bike, he recommende I change to a tube wheel, it would be cheaper if I ever need to change the tyre. On top of that, I'd need to change by rear wheel gear again! Argh! This time, it costs me a total of 420 bucks! OUCH! It hurts my pocket real bad...

As he was changing the bike parts, we chatted and came to know that they are a family of 4 brothers. This shop is run by the 3rd bro. The one in jurong east is run by the eldest brother and they have one more in Tampines which is run by their youngest siblings. the 2nd Bro works outside, he's not really into this family business.

As we were chatting, someone came into the shop, it was the youngest brother. Haha...and we all had a nicee chat. The mechanic for the shop also returned and they were all commenting about how old this bike was. And how in the 1980s this was a GREAT bike. The youngest bro told me the body is worth keeping as it is made of steel and it is really lasting. However, they all refuse to have me change all the mechanics of the bike such as the gear beside the pedals and the fork unless I am really hardcore into it. They told me if I'd gotten addicted into it, I'll see them in two month's time. I concured and went off with the newly configured bike. The wheel looks nicer and well..it just looks great. Even cycling on it feels different. Smoother and faster!

As I zoomed off, the scorching weather has suddenly started to drizzle. Then it started raining cats and dogs as I continue to cycle sown orchard. By the time I reached the bus, i was really wet. Went into the air conditioned office to dry myself. BAD MISTAKE. Shyaral visited me in the evening with a friend and sortof showed off my place to them. Oh well, then I went to sleep only to wake up next morning about 6AM to feel nothing less than TERRIBLE! Argh~ Quickly took a cab to see the doc and had an MC for the day... Well, that was Friday morning.

Felt better by Friday evening and had a revelation. An idea or another project how to educate the youth or people to adopt a more sustainable lifestyle. And it has got to do with Cycling. Why not have cycling be a way of life. It is healthy, energy sustainable, less pollution and fun! But the problem is this, in Singapore, cyclist like myself have alot of problem. We are not suppose to cycle on the pedestain walk. And while cycling on the main road, it is pretty dangerous as most motorcyclist don't really notice us cyclist. I guess that's something we need to iron out and hopefully some policies can be made so that it would be safer for cyclist to cycle and hence ablee to enourage more people to cycle instead of driving to safe our environment and be a more healthy lifestyle...

Well, today we had the Docent retreat at Costa Sand function hall. It was an interesting 3.5Hrs of planning on where we are currently and where we will be heading. Tomorrow...it will be more interesting. It will touch on leadership stuffs and how to motivate the team...

Thatz all for now...taZzz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home