Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Leadership...an ongoing search

Woah...got my off today! Slept till 11+, guess I am really burnt out. But have to go back to my stuffs soon. I need to quickly move my teams. Publication team, Forum Team, International Affiars and the HR team. Yup..the various department in ECO.

This brings me to a point on Leadership. I am still searching for it. Infact, I have been searching for it for awhile. My quest for this had made me learnt a handful of things that is required of a "Leader". SAF advocates Leadership as one of the requirements needed as an Officer. Going through the officer course, the thing i learnt from there is about leadership is that he/she need to be able to handle situations and do the "right" choice. Choices that benefits the bigger picture, no matter how unpopular it may be.

Back in school days, being involved in various clubs and activities taught leadership by saying "A good leader must first be a good follower". So what does it really mean? It was also told that not all follower can be a leader. Why not? So how do I know if I am a follower and not a leader? I still question that today.

After leaving school, out of SAF, in ECO, I have failed many times. I have ran away from problems before and have came back to fix things (However, Ihave to admit I still run away sometimes. But I come back faster each time). Also, I have gone through a handful of projects and handled a lot of volunteers. Slowly, in ECO, it came to me that leadership is about "Bringing the best out of your team". Well, people might beg to differ, but this is my opinion. It is about taking time to meet up your team members one by one, know them, understand them, position them to their strength and built their confidence and their profile. To bring them to the next level and help them built their strength so they can excel in that area.

I followed the later theory of my own and found joy in my role as the president and head of various things I do. And this has given me strength to keep taking up such role to develope the people around me.

My search or quest does not end here. There is more than just that in leadership i believe. But for now, my "Leadership" style that I have adopted are as follow:
1. Bring out the best in the team and individuals
2. Listen to them
3. To be respected and well liked are different thing. No point being well liked and not get things done to only loose respect and credibility.

That's for me...for now. What about you?

My short story on leadership for today.

Adios!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home