Monday, January 08, 2007

A blessing...

Been awhile since I last update the blog. Alot of things has happened and I think I have been very very very lucky for the past few months.

I was busy preparing the forecast and future of ECO and also at the same time, my passion was recognized by a fellow senior environmentalist! Her name is Dr Geh Min. I guess this time I'll focus on the blessing that was bestowed on me just few months ago.

It was in November 2006 that Dr Geh Min suddenly dropped me an email to asked me of my interest to be in parliament as a Nominated Member of Parliament. I was taken aback. I was and still am happy about this. I mean, I honestly felt I have not done enough but she actually has the faith in me and what I do and asked me to take a more proactive role to bring an environment youth voice into the parliament.

It was an offer that I thought is once in a lifetime. To have someone who was an NMP to actually recommend me, to me it was an honor. But at the same time, I did not want to jump into it so I have had the chance to bumped into her for the next 3 days to seek out her views as an NMP and also what are the commitment levels. I mean I do read up about the parliament and also do occassionally read up about he parliament, but getting involved, I need to know the commitment level.

Other than her, I spoke to Ms Claire Chiang, whom I was seeking mentorship from. She gave me a good talk on ther opinion as an NMP for about 30-40mins just before she departed for Korea. It was insightful. Others that I had the chance to seek advices from are people like:

1. Ms Elim Chew: Founder 77th Street
2. Mr Raymond Huang: Founder Heartware Network
3. Ms Charissa Ee: Chairperson Promiseworks
4. Ms Tan Chee Koon: CEO National Volunteer and Philanthropy Centre
5. Mr Jack Sim: Founder World Toilet Organisation
6. Mr Howard Shaw: Director Singapore Environment Council
7. Mr Ng Weng Hoong: Founder/Director Energy Asia

These are people who have served the community and also the reason why they are or some are not interested to be involved as NMP. They shed some light in their views and that helped alot.

After a long while, I finally decided to press on with it. I know what I want to do. I have my life mission to guide me. This is one avenue I can work on. And also at the same time, I can look at myself as one of the collective soruce of info/feedback to the government to facilitate better environmental policies. There are so many things to be done for the environment. I have no idea where to start. From the transportation system, to enforcement of littering, to building schemes and even environmental impact assessment mandatory policy.

Never knew that the news got to the ears of the media that fast. They asked if I was fine with disclosing my intention, I gave the green light and from there on, it was just news that flashes quickly across various main stream media. And to my surprise, I happen to be the youngest nominee. I guess that adds on to the spice of it.

The coverage was great, loads of coverage and pictures appearing even without me knowing where the pictures came from. And finally, on the last day itself, I went to submit the completed forms. First time in my life i felt like a celebrity. When I arrived in the cab, the camera kept flashing until i got into the parliament house. I was later interviewed and woah..the question asked. It was somehwo challenging.

I have learned on that day on how to handle media. Something perhaps I would like to share:
1. Nothing is OFF the record
2. You do NOT need to answer anything
3. SMILE and walk away
4. Be confident

I have never been in that position but I think i am sort of glad I was put in that situation because I have learnt how to better manage the media. It was interesting and well i guess for a first timer, I think I did well.

Days pass and I was thinking that all hope were lost and the interview wouldn't happen to me. Then, I saw on the papers my face yet again! And this time, they disclosed that there were actually 48 nominees compared to 37 for the last round! I never knew there were so many applicants. And on the same day, I received a call from the parliament house that I have been shortlisted for an interview. WOOHOO! I jumped with joy and glad that at least I wasn't booted out in the first round.

As the date drew nearer to the interview, i got tensed. Suddenly, there was a growing urge and want to have the post of the NMP. It was weird, but as days pass, I wanted it badly. I have no idea why. I look at this as something that will change my life forever. It will allow me to make even more changes and be able to help more people! I was afraid to lose it. I wanted to have it. I want it.

And just in the nick of time, one of my mentor told me to watch Star Wars 3. And from there, I learnt a lesson. "Overcome the fear of losing what you loved/treaure most". Things should be as the way it should be. Let it be.

On the following week, someone also told me that I should go on with it like as if I do not need it. Because whether or not I have it, I am still able to do what I want to do. Be confident of myself.

I went back and spend about 2~3 days thinking over the lesson learnt. And indeed, I think I have been very lucky to have been where I am. Without this good fortune that fell on my lap, I have already ironed out the whole 2007 what I am going to do to push for mroe environmental awareness and engaging more youth to take ownership. And sides, the NMP nomination has already given me alot of exposure for the past month that I found at least 5 news paper article of myself with pictures in both the chinese and english papers. That excludes the TV telecast as well and also the ernomous amount of media friends and corporate partners I have came to contact with where i managed to establish a good relationship. I am already very blessed. The past one month has given me enough "ammunitions" to effect more change. Fellow leaders from environment groups and youths groups have also came forward to give their support when they heard about it. All of them gave their supoprt and told me if I needed their vote, I can count on them. My fellow youths. It felt good. Honestly, I think I have gotten more that what I had expected or wish for. It was indeed a blessing.

Then, another of my mentor also told me to treat it as an experience. Which I realized has been really helpful. I do not think anyone aged 25 will have had the chance to be exposed to what I am exposed to. I am very fortunate to have all these blessings. The mentors that are around, the friends that are supportive, the volunteers that "fights" with me, the Environmental and youth NGOs who are ever supportive in what I am trying to do and of course my loved ones who never knew what I am doing but finally realized what I am doing is worth it. I have been blessed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home