Friday, January 12, 2007

The Interview

Friends around me has been asking about my interview so perhaps I can share here how I have "screwed up" for my interview in my own opinion. I think/know I did my best, as best as i could at that point of time thou after leaving there, I felt I could have done better. But what's done is done. Now the fate awaits in the handfs of the selection committee.

Couple days back, I just had the interview. I was the last one. I went in and faced the panel:
Mr Abdullah Tarmugi
Mdm Halimah Yacob
Mrs Lim Hwee Hua
Mr Low Thia Khiang
RAdm(NS) Lui Tuck Yew
Mr Mah Bow Tan
Ms Denise Phua
Mr Sin Boon Ann

They were warm. They tried to make me feel comfortable although I was tensed. Or at least I know I clearly told them I was at one point...and the panel laughed and joked a little to make me feel comfortable.

Questions and answers that I remembered during the interview (base on "agar-ation") and my improved answers;
Q: What do you see your role as an NMP?
A: To be one of the collective source of info/feedback to the government and facilitate better environmental policies

Q: There are already existing feedback units and blogs, so why do we need you?
A: Because I do not think these channel are that effective to channel the views and I'd be able to better relate to the youth to bring out their genuine issues. Feedback unit somehow has too many layers and we never know how many of them really reach the parliament level. A direct voice is always better and someone closer to teh ground and youth would be better to relate.

Q: Do you think Singaporean Youth lack of direction and no sense of belonging and they might find themselves lost eventually. (Actually this question so long that even thou I asked the MP to repeat, I can't remember. *faint* But this is my summarized version)
A: I disagree to the statement. They all ahve a dream. they do know what they want o do. Well, most of them do. At least those around me. It is just that we all need to survive, so earning money to be financially free is the main priority. But then I have learnt from one of my mentor that getting to be financially free is only a means to an end. WE need to first identify what we want to achieve. If not, we'd always be in the rat race trapped. I am lucky to have had the chance to find out my dream, passion and took the leap of faith to pursue it. Leaving a comfortably paid job to reach for my dream to make the world a better place.

Q: So something like you want to save the world lah?
A: Yup. to make the world a better place. My personal goal is to be able to create and maintain a sustainable lifestyle and culture.

Q: So what are the issues you want to raise up?
A: I don;t think I have any one in particular. And sides, my aim is to be a collective source of feedback, I'd rather do the collection on informatino and feeddback before presenting up.

Q: I know but now what is the burning issue you have? Inside of you that you want to bring up.
A: Well, there is alot, but I have no idea where to start. I can't think of any right now off my head, maybe because i think i somehow feel....tensed.

~laughter filled the room~

Comments: Hm....i think the buring issues is causing some haze so he can't think well

~ more laughs~

A: Well, true i'd say. And as you brough up, haze is an issue. Something that we hope to be able to address to as well. And the haze issue clearly shows that environment is trans boundary. It affects all of us. In the recent haze breifing held, we were told a special tasks force for haze was formed and all the ministries were involved less the Finance. This clearly shows how important environmental issues is and how it affects us. I am sure all of us is aware environment affects all of us. From the recent implementation of Euro IV emission taxi to the two initaitives by MND. IT shows how our daily life is affected. I do hope that perhaps we can have mroe subsidy for hbrid to encourage more people to drive hybrid. And for MND end, instead of volunteer green mark scheme, why not make it mandatory and all Singapore buildings be green? We are in a position to be able to do so.

Environment is something that I hope we will be able to look from an economic stand point on how it will benefit us financially. With the recent signing of Kyoto, it opens w hole new market, a green economy. Also, we must be able to see what are the social impact of the environment has. And how politics affects all these things.

Q: You mentioned you like to use it to build the "heartware" and the "heritage" of Singapore. How do you intend to do so?
A: Well, the heartware part comes in by engaging the youth to more activities. To make them feel they belong. To be more invovled in environmental activities. and for heritage, what inspired me was the story of bukit chandru, it was done by the Raffles Musuem and they used nature and heritage to capture me my interest. At least I felt a sense of belonging after that. I could relate. I felt as if this was aprt of me. Something I am proud to share with anyone who comes to Singapore. The story of bukit chandru.

Q: Do you blog?
A: Yes i do...interesting wuestion that you should bring this up thou.

Q: Do you use this to gather feedbacks?
A: Yes and no. My personal blog, which you might have come across, is a blog for me to share my journey that I have taken. Giving up my comfrotbale life in the airforce to do what I am passioante about. To share my journey to the unknown. Which it is. But it has been so exciting. And I put it in short stories and hiopfully people who reads it will be able to digest it and they will also get to be motivated that think that "hey, Wilson did this before and maybe I can or should". Hopefully it will motivate them. It is a life story to share.

For ECO's blogs on our projects and stuffs, these are channels for us to improve our activities and also constantly to gather feedbacks on what we are doing and also a means to have our volunteers interact with those who might be interested or want to know mroe about what we are doing. It is a two way communication medium.

Q: So what is your relationship with Dr Yaacob and Dr Geh Min? Have they been responsive and how close do you work with them?
A: They have been very good to me. Have worked closely with them and they share advices as well on what I should do or how I should improve myself and the organsiatoin and the activities. Dr Yaacob has been very responsive and has graced our annual National Youth Environment Forum and Dr Geh min has always been there to share her opinion and someone I am very much grateful to with regards to sharing ehr wealth of experience and knowledge.

Q: So you write to the MPs and how have they responded?
A: Well, couple of "unlucky" Ministers have gotten my email and perhaps due to my hot headedness I have written to both Dr Yaacob and Dr Vivian on my opinions and they have been very forth coming in terms of response and even got someone to touch base with me to work somethings out. Thing slike the kyoto protocol and also our education system. On how rigid it was and how to improve on it.

Q: So I belive you have been folowing the parliment proceedings and what is going on, so do you see yourself as what Dr Geh Min does?
A: Yup, very much so. And top of that be the collective source of info and feedback to better facilitate environmental policies.

Q: But there are already existing systems, why do we need you?
A: Well, as mentioned, I do not think it helps to bring out the full potential of the feedback that is really happening on the ground. Sides, there are alot of levels that it will need to go through before it can be raised up in parliament. I will be the link direct to the parliament as well. And being able to relate better with my peers help to better have them bring out issues close to their heart.

Q: Any other questions panels? Wilson, thank you for your tiem to come down for the interview. Do you have any questions for us?
A: Nope.

Thank you

Then I stepped out......it lasted about 20mins. I don't think i have put down everything, but it is as much as i can remember.

I honestly do not know what will the results will be but I do look forward to be able to be part of the team. I really want to be in it and contribute my share.

That's all for now.

Cheers!
Wil

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home